Sunday, February 10, 2008

Wild Blue Yonder

I'm Baaack! Looks like this will be more of a weekly blog until we do something more exciting on a regular basis!

No line dancing lessons today
(Sunday), so WonderMom and I spent the day with our local friends OfficeCat and NASCARGuy. WonderMom went home with OfficeCat to sew, while NASCARGuy and I went to an airshow - flying is big out here due to 360 days of good flying weather per year! This was a mini-airshow, however, featuring Radio Controlled model jet planes. Quite a show with some really nice planes.
This F100 SuperSabre was one of the best looking.
It was flown in Viet Nam and by the Air Force Thunderbird Demonstration team in the late 60's.


Here's the model coming in for a landing.

There were quite a few different planes there and the pilots did a great job of showing them off.

The most popular was this model called the JetCat which was present in various color schemes.

This is what the jet engine looks like installed in a JetCat. The engines cost upwards of $3000 the last I heard!

Speaking of flying, Flyguy, another of my friends out here formerly from central Illinois, is a licensed pilot who built his own plane over the past 2 years. Here's a photo of the finished product which he flys regularly. It's a beauty! Sadly, I'm too big to fit in it!

After lunch, we went to NASCARGuy's house and found the 'little women' busily sewing away- outside in the 75 degree weather! After downloading all the photos we took at the airshow, I grilled some ribs for dinner - love that Sweet Baby Ray's sauce! OfficeCat made a great corn salad and a delicious Upside Down Apple Pecan pie! WondeMom made her signature broccoli bacon raisin salad. We ate like pigs! Time to start working it off, I guess.

Well anyway we had a great day with great company!

Shimmy is coming to visit us next weekend for a couple of days. We're looking forward to spending some time with her. I suspect I'll be relegated to chauffeur while Shimmy and her Mom catch up on stuff. No problem!

No comments: