That’s the final result of weeks of hoopla and zillions of dollars that flooded the valley these past couple of weeks. The expected revenue for the valley is about $500 million! The owner of our RV park tried to grab some of the cash glut by raising the daily rent on the pull-through spaces from $30 to $60/day. Those spaces were mostly empty this weekend! Apparently other accommodations were available for less, sorry Gavin! Scalpers were out in force today. Tickets were down (from $4400) to $1400 just before the game. A teenager interviewed on TV was holding out to find one selling for $1200! They did close the roof on the UofPhx stadium for the Super Bowl because rain was predicted - and happened!
I’ve been hearing jet traffic leaving the nearby airport in the last half hour. A record number of biz-jets were expected to converge on the valley airports this weekend, and yes, all of the landing fees were jacked up for the occasion! Some of the regulars who rent space at the local strips were either bribed to leave, or rousted out of, their rented space to make room for the high $ transients. The exodus should continue through tomorrow.
In addition to the Super Bowl, the FBR Open (formerly the Phoenix Open) was also this weekend. It didn’t get rained out - they still play golf outside here, but I expect them to build an indoor course any year now. It’s the kind of thing they’d do out here. No, Tiger wasn’t here. He was playing in Dubai! Phil Mickelson is the big draw at the FBR, but he lost to JB Holmes in a playoff.
Meanwhile, WonderMom and I went to our line dancing lesson today. We apparently didn’t miss much last week (we forgot, and it was raining hard!), because we started right where we left off 2 weeks ago. We did learn a couple of new steps, and I still have trouble concentrating on what I’m doing. I’m always ending on the wrong foot at the wrong time and stumbling to get to the next step. Maybe I’m too old to learn new stuff! WonderMom seems to be doing OK, but then she’s always been more coordinated than I am. She did let me win at 9-Ball (pool) after the dancing lessons.
Hope you folks back in IL get through the latest winter weather OK. Looks like another one heading your way from out here. Sorry about that. Keep warm!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We had rain this weekend, but it didn't get below 50.
Post a Comment